Saturday, June 26, 2010

Elle Woods: A retrospective.

Sooo, I'm definitely sick. Even my eyeballs ache. Fortunately for me, today begins the knock out round of the World Cup, so I shall be entertained and have sudden bursts of adrenaline coursing through my veins all day long--or at least until 4:30 PM. Anyway, due to my baby sneeze disease I was unable to sleep and awoke ridiculously early this morning (5:15 AM) so I had a few hours to kill until Uruguay vs. South Korea. Decided to cruise On Demand and thought it delightfully appropriate that Legally Blonde was about to expire in only 3 days. I haven't seen it in a few years, and certainly not since I started the endless drudgery of LSAT studying and the whole law school application process. I remember liking it. Indeed I remember being entertained. Feeling the sting of Elle's rejection.  Rejoicing with Elle's triumphs. Not this time. My smile faded during the LSAT prep montage, when Elle begins chewing nervously on a pink feathered pencil. Things continued downhill and I felt my eye twitch when her sorority sisters time her Logic Games section with a bedazzled stopwatch while doing Pilates on the floor. Montage continues. On LSAT test day Elle stares quizzically into space, triumphantly grabs the answer out of the air a second later, and returns with vigor to her Scantron. Action skips over the agonizing month-long wait for results. Envelope arrives. Envelope is opened. Dramatic pause. "179!!!!!!!!" Confetti is thrown. Elle is lifted like the academic champion she is upon the shoulders of her Delta Nu sisters... 
"Oh fuck that!"

Yup, that's what I yelled at Reese Witherspoon. Then I promptly turned off the TV and put myself in time-out. 

It's not that I did poorly on the LSAT. I did well. But I worked my ass off to do well. I studied for MONTHS. I took it twice. I got blisters on my hands because I had to go back and erase all the previous months of work I did in my 17 TestMasters workbooks in order to do it all AGAIN. I had nightmares where I had to try to find the logical link between 4 totally nonsensically related sentences. A 40 second montage to sum up that hellish experience was apparently tantamount to a slap in the face at 5:45 in the morning. 

USA vs. Ghana game just started. Brain and emotions narrowed to tunnel vision focused on TV. Will return later. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment